The world is changing so fast – faster than we can keep up with sometimes. And because companies are mini-microcosms of what’s happening in the world, when the world is changing quickly, you as a leader, founder, or executive, need tools to pivot, lead in uncertainty, and a playbook that makes sense for today. In other words, you need to know how to be a modern, mindful leader.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this blog post:
- How to spot a modern, mindful leader
- The top three things you can today to become a more modern, mindful leader
- Why being a modern, mindful leader is way easier than a “command and control” style of leadership
How To Spot Modern, Mindful Leaders
Modern, mindful leaders are often asking questions and then actually listening to responses instead of being the loudest voice in the room and taking up all the air time. They meditate. These leaders are intentional in their responses. They admit where they need support. Like any leader, they have followers, but they show respect to everyone (even the people who do not agree with or follow them). They prioritize wellness and living a healthy, balanced life (and encourage their team to do the same).
These leaders are inclusive and believe that diverse people and perspectives will take us further, faster. They understand their own privilege and use it to offer equity to those who have less. They create cultures founded on psychological safety and bring their whole selves to work (and encourage you to do the same).
And at The NU Company, we believe that a modern, mindful leader incorporates humor where appropriate because we need to have some fun, right?
Top 3 Things You Can Do Today To Become A More Modern, Mindful Leader
1. Start meditating. You know the science which says that it will change pretty much every area of your life for the better so what are you waiting for? If you’re looking for a sign, this is it!
2. Measure what matters. You can’t change what you don’t understand so how are you measuring key aspects of your culture within your business? Do you have data around how safe, included, inspired, motivated, or engaged your employees are? Data-driven decisions are a modern, mindful leaders favorite kind of decision.
3. Do the inner work. How are you growing and becoming a better version of yourself? Modern, mindful leaders are always seeking to learn, grow, and do the work. Whether that’s through a leadership book, podcast, working with an executive coach, joining a group coaching program, there are so many opportunities out there these days.
“Command and Control” Leadership is Dying
Doesn’t it sound exhausting to have to control everything all of the time? Control is an illusion and gone are the days where leaders are expected to have all of the answers, all of the time.
In fact, a modern, mindful leader knows that sometimes crowd-sourcing a solution is one of the best ways to engage your team and get buy-in from them early on when the winds of change are blowing. But it’s important to have a handful of insightful questions at your fingertips. Feeling unsure what to say? You can ask your team in a way that engages them instead of putting them on the spot.
A few examples include:
- “I’d love to open this up to the team. Any thoughts?”
- “If you were me, what would you focus on first?”
- “Where have we run into a similar challenge before?”
How can you spot a modern, mindful leader? They’re the ones often sitting back, listening, maybe meditating, seeking data and input from their brilliant, diverse team.
Three things you can do to become a modern mindful leader are:
- Measure what matters
- Do the inner work
It’s way easier than the old-school style of leadership (aka command and control) because by asking for and encouraging your team to offer ideas and solutions, you create greater engagement.
This means you don’t have to be that boss — you know who we’re talking about.
Instead, use these tools to be the modern, mindful leader your team has been hoping for.